The Renault-Nissan Alliance, one of the top four automotive groups worldwide in sales, is the auto industry’s longest-lasting and most productive cross-cultural partnership.
The alliance of Groupe Renault, based in France, Japan-based Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. and Mitsubishi Motors Corp., sells cars under nine brands – Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Renault Samsung Motors, Infiniti, Venucia, Dacia, Datsun and Lada.
In 2016, the Alliance (with Mitsubishi Motors) sold 9.96 million cars in nearly 200 markets (see the press release here). In addition to its strategic partnership with AVTOVAZ, Russia’s largest car maker, the Alliance operates strategic collaborations with Germany’s Daimler and China’s Dongfeng Motor.
Created in March 1999, today the Alliance employs more than 470,000 people and has 122 manufacturing plants globally. The unique partnership is a pragmatic business tool that has helped Renault and Nissan achieve globally competitive economies of scale and elevated both companies into the top tier of major automakers.
It is the only automotive group that offers a full range of zero-emission vehicles, from small urban cars to family sedans and commercial vehicles.
The Renault, Nissan Alliance, with Mitsubishi Motors, cumulatively sold 424,797 electric vehicles through 2016, making it the undisputed leader in zero-emission mobility.
The Alliance has four converged functions: Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering & Supply Chain Management, Purchasing, and Human Resources.
These key functions are jointly managed by Alliance companies, with an Alliance executive leading each function. The convergence generated EUR 4.3 billion in synergies in 2015, one full year ahead of schedule. (See the press release here).
The Alliance is headed by Chairman and CEO Carlos Ghosn.
Five things you should know about Mitsubishi Motors:
- Mitsubishi Motors is the longest established mass market car manufacturer in Japan. Mitsubishi Motors produced its first car in 1917 (Mitsubishi A), while Nissan produced its first vehicle in 1933 (Datsun12 Phaeton).
- Mitsubishi Motors is the best-seller of PHEVs in Europe with 30,000 units sold in 2015 and 21,000 in 2016.
- Mitsubishi Motors has a strong presence in southeast Asia (7 % market share in the region and this region represents 20% of Mitsubishi Motors global sales.)
- Mitsubishi Motors bestselling vehicle is the RVR (ASX/Outlander Sports) with 178,900 units sold in China, USA and Australia in FY 2015.
- Mitsubishi Triton/L200 pickup truck is popular worldwide with 4.4 million units cumulative sales. It is sold in approximately 150 countries.
Renault-Nissan has released its new Facts & Figures booklet to celebrate the 18th anniversary of the Alliance.