Signed on March 27, 1999, the Renault-Nissan Alliance has built a unique business model that has created significant value for both companies. For 14 years, employees at Renault and Nissan have worked as partners with attitudes of mutual respect and company pride while keeping separate brands and corporate identities.
In 2009, Renault and Nissan took cooperation to a higher level. To maximize the experience gained from 10 years of cross-cultural management and shared experience, the Alliance set up a small team of experts from Nissan and Renault. The role of this dedicated team is to foster deeper, broader cooperation and to maximize the contribution of synergies to the performance of both partners.
This dedicated Alliance team focuses on 16 areas identified as priorities including research and advanced engineering, powertrains, manufacturing, parts and accessories, marketing and raw materials.
In 2012, the Alliance sold a record 8.1 million units worldwide, up about 1% from the previous year. Sales were higher for a fourth straight year. See our Feb. 4, 2013 press release for all the details.
Key facts and figures
The Renault-Nissan Alliance is a unique partnership of two global companies united for performance and linked by cross-shareholdings. It is based on two founding principles:
- Developing all potential synergies by combining the strengths of both companies through a constructive approach to deliver win-win results.
- Preserving each company’s autonomy and respecting their own corporate and brand identities.
Alliance Vision: Destination
- The Alliance contributes to global sustainable development
- The Alliance generates attractive returns for the shareholders of each company
- The Alliance attracts and retains the best talents, provides good working conditions and challenging opportunities: it grows people to have a global and entrepreneurial mindset
- The Alliance is based on trust, transparency and mutual respect
The Alliance Constitution is associated with the best established standards of corporate governance, ensuring:
- Clear decision making for speed, accountability and a high level of performance
- Maximum efficiency by combining the strengths of both companies and developing win-win synergies
The Alliance develops and implements a strategy of profitable growth and sets itself the following three objectives:
- To be recognized by customers as being among the best 3 automotive groups in the quality and value of its products and services in each region and market segment
- To be among the best 3 automotive groups in key technologies, each partner being a leader in specific domains of excellence
- To consistently generate a total operating profit among the top 3 automotive groups in the world, by maintaining a high operating profit margin and pursuing growth